Intern - Scholar Protection Team
Fall 2014 | Unpaid full-time and part-time, in-office positions
Scholars at Risk (SAR) is an international network of over 330 higher education institutions and their members in 35 countries whose mission is to protect threatened scholars, prevent attacks on higher education communities, and promote academic freedom.
SAR seeks an enthusiastic summer intern to assist in SAR’s core activity of helping threatened scholars resume their academic lives in safety. The intern may also assist in activities to promote academic freedom.
- Prepare and assess materials from applicants seeking SAR’s assistance
- Conduct research on human rights and academic freedom concerns in applicants’ home countries
- Draft summary materials on scholars accepted for SAR’s help for circulation to partners and member institutions
- With SAR staff, provide career-related advice and support to SAR scholars
- Conduct research on imprisoned scholars
- Monitor online media sources for reported attacks on academic freedom
- Update database contacts and records, in addition to other administrative duties
- Exceptional writing and editorial skills
- Strong attention to detail, and strong organizational and multi-tasking abilities
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights and/or international education
- Previous research experience highly desirable
- Knowledge of foreign languages highly desirable
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to Scholars at Risk at email@example.com with the subject line “Fall internship application.” In your cover letter, please indicate whether you are interested in a full- or part-time internship, as well as the days and hours you would be available. Call with any questions: +1 212 998-2179+1 212 998-2179.
SAR regularly hires New York-based graduate and undergraduate students to work in the office as researchers, assistant case managers and administrative support. Contact the SAR office for more information on p/t student employment opportunities.